The Pen Parentis Literary Salon is a unique Downtown series that shatters parental stereotypes as it celebrates the diverse creative work of writers that are also parents. On the second Tuesday of each month September through May, join us at 75 Wall Street (Andaz Wall Street). Each night begins with networking over wine, compliments of Andaz Wall Street. Readings are followed by Q&A moderated by Pen Parentis founder M. M. De Voe and Salons curator Christina Chiu. Each event ends with mingling and book signings. Come join the fun! Pen Parentis Literary Salons are a great place to meet book-loving neighbors as well as industry notables. You don’t have to be a parent or even a writer to enjoy these events – join us!
See below for details of who is reading next and to RSVP!
Indoor activities curated by Mutha Magazine
Part of the Empire State Center for the Book Festival Pop-up on Governor’s Island
As part of the Empire State of the Book Festival, join Pen Parentis and Mutha Magazine for a whole day of interactive, literary-themed activities great for all ages on Governor’s Island. Bring the kids if you have them. Or not. Your call. This is a about YOU. Drop in or stay all day. No admission fees.
- Meet Comic Book Artists In Residence
- Hear amazing readers and buy a book if the mood strikes you
- Learn more about Mutha Magazine and Pen Parentis
- Ask Pen Parentis Writing Fellows how it changed their lives to win the fellowship
- Open Mic from 4pm – 5pm! Sign up during the day!
- ALL DAY – (outside) Participate in the Living Lexicon
- ALL DAY (inside): Writing on the Wall: Mutha Secrets
From 10am – 2:30 pm all sessions are all ages appropriate, with special programming for the very young
From 2:30 – 5pm sessions are PG+ content (kids are allowed, but note that programming is adult-oriented)
- 11am – 1pm Former Fellows Jess DeCourcy Hinds, Frank Haberle, and
- 11am -1pm Spellbound Theatre: drop-in storytelling puppetry workshop (for the very young and their parents)
- 1pm – 2:30pm Ginny Wiehardt runs a poetry workshop – drop ins welcome (kids too!)
- 2:30 – 4pm Live-drawing by Lauren Weinstein, creator of the comics series Normel Person (The Village Voice) from your Mutha Secrets
- 2:30 – 4pm Comics Storytelling Workshop (drop-in) with Joanna Herman and Lisa Wilde and Anna Mudd, beginners are welcome! Learn to draw comics even if you never thought you could. Prompts available.
- 4pm – 5pm Readings by featured readers Elizabeth Isadora Gold, Gabriella Belfiglio, Meg Lemke,EndFragment and discussion with comic artists and others – Open Mic! Sign up during the day.
When: July 8, 2017
Where: House 2B in Nolan Park
Time: 10am to 5pm (drop in or stay all day!)
Other: $2 Ferries depart from Brooklyn and Manhattan. Show IDNYC for a free ride. Morning ferries (to 11am) also free. Click here for ferry info.